Dr. Chaves received his DDS degree from State University of Campinas (UNICAMP) in Brazil in 1977 and later his DMD degree from University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine in 1999. Dr. Chaves obtained his periodontal specialty training at UNICAMP in 1981 and his certificate in Periodontics as well as his Master Degree at University of Michigan in 1984. Dr. Chaves has held the following positions;
- Senior Research Fellow at The University of Michigan from 1984 to 1986.
- Private Practice in Santos, Brazil from 1986 to 1989.
- Visiting Assistant Professor at University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio from 1989 to 1991;
- Assistant Professor, promoted to Associate Professor with tenure at University of Alabama at Birmingham from 1991 to 1994.
- Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Program at University of Texas Houston Dental Branch from 1994 to 1996.
- Associate Professor University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine and Director of Clinical Research Department of Periodontics 1996 to 1999.
- Director of Oral Care at Hill Top Research, West Palm Beach Florida.
- Private practice limited to Periodontics in Juno Beach, Florida from 2001 to 2007 and was an Associate Clinical Periodontist from 2007 to 2009 in Vero Beach, and Port St Lucie, Florida.
- Associate Professor, Chair Department of Periodontics School of Dentistry West Virginia University from 2009 to 2013.
- During his tenure in West Virginia Dr. Chaves also graduated from the School of Business and Economics receiving his MBA in July 2013.
- Professor, Chair and Graduate program Director, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City OK from 2013 to July 2015
- Periodontist, Pinellas Dental Specialties, from August 2016 to date
Dr. Chaves has more than 40 abstracts and peer -reviewed published papers and book chapters. Dr. Chaves has participated in many research projects in academic and private sector.
Dr. Chaves has lectured in the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal diseases including regenerative therapies and dental implants. More recently Dr. Chaves has been lecturing in the following areas;
- Anatomic Periodontal Surgery for Periodontal Cosmetic Dentistry – with and without restorative work
- The importance of socket preservation for planning and placement of dental implants
- Dental Implants in the Esthetic Zone for Patients with high esthetic expectations.
- Crown design and contour and its implications in Periimplantitis
- 3D planning for placement of dental implants – Guided Surgery Template or Surgical Guide, is there a difference?
Dr. Chaves has more than 90 CE courses and presentations in the US and internationally, specifically, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala and Spain.
Surgical placement of dental implant fixtures with the following systems:
- Nobel Guided System since 2005, (Treatment planning, fabrication of 3D surgical guide and surgical placement using anchor pins). Surgical and restorative with Nobel Replace and Active.
- Straumann Clinical experience surgically and restorative with soft tissue level, bone level, tapered soft tissue level, tapered bone level .
- 3I – Surgical and restorative experience with external hex as well as internal connections (Osseotite certain parallel and tapered)
PROFESSIONAL COURSES TAKEN IN IMPLANTOLOGY
- AO Annual Meeting – Orlando Florida, March 14 to 18, 2017
- Branemrak Institute in Bauru Brazil – Treatment of Totally Edentulous Patients with Immediate delivery of fixed dental prosthesis implant supported. Surgical hands-on of two mandibular cases with 4 Nobel dental implant fixtures for each patient.
- ITI World Symposium – Annual Meeting – 60 Years Straumann implants – Geneva, Switzerland, April 23-26, 2014.
- Nobel Active Implants – by Dr. James Cherry, Nobel Biocare USA, Inc. Participation course with 30% hands on 2.5 CE. Port St Lucie, Florida, March 19, 2008.
- Nobel Guided Computer Training and Live Surgery – Dr. Brian Young. 16 credit hours. Ponte Vedra, Florida. July 19-21, 2007.
- Straumann Implants – ITI Congress in Science & Innovation . 14 CE. Miami, Florida. April 21-22, 2006.
- LD Pankey Institute – Interdisciplinary Course. Participation and Lecture Course. Key Biscayne, Florida, 39 credit hours. February 26 to March 1st, 2006.
- The ITI Dental Implant System – Dr. James Ruskin and team. Straumann Key Biscayne, Florida March 26-27, 2004.
- 3 I’s Dental Implants Technology and Research Forum – Dr. Richard Lazzara, Implant Innovations, Inc. Palm Beach gardens, Florida, October 26-27, 2001.
- Surgical and Prosthetic Curriculum of Steri-Oss Dental Implants – NOBEL BIOCARE, Yorba Linda, CA August 17-18, 2001.
- Dental Implants and Osseointegration – Dr. P.I. Branemark and Dr. Gilbert Triplett. University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio, Texas, July 1990. 4 hours